It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NSB Rk 1270 and Rk 1271
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2022, 13:29 

I will start this topic with the information I have so far.

There were two Cowans & Sheldon cranes in Norway.
The first one is Rk 1270, also known as Rkd 1270 or Xk 1270
MDB entry of Rk 1270
Mainly stationed in Oslo I think.
Cowans & sheldon number 9503

The other one is the one I am a little more interested in since it was stationed in Trondheim.
It is the Rk 1271 or also know as Rkd 1271 or Xk 1271. I think it is the same model crane as the 1270.
Cowans & sheldon number 9504
MDB entry of Rk 1271
Looking at the picture of the type shield it says 50 tons and build year 1952. In the lists on the website of BDCA I cannot really match it to other cranes. Any pointer to which ones I should be looking? Maybe I am messing up metric and imperial tons?

My end goal would eventually be to build a 1:87 model (yeah I know the english like 1:76). So any direction to find drawings would also be appreceated.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2022, 09:25 

So my search continues.
I found the order reference in the cumbrian archive and the drawing numbers that should go with them.
The drawing numbers are: 15098, 18683, 18021, 18029

I also discovered that in Sweden there were also two of the same cranes, 8934 and 8935. The 8934 was at least still alive in 2017 since I got a video of that. Don't know its current state though.

The quest continues!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2022, 07:46 

So the new episode.

I got a reply from the Swedish railway museum and they indeed have crane that is almost identical to the Norwegian ones. This is no surprise since there was/is a lot of cooperation between the two. It is stored in a shed at the moment since they are redoing the museum. But they are also going to look through the paper archives.

Because my final goal is to build a model I am also going to try and visit didcot in may. Their crane is also in renovation at the moment but should be visible for the public.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 13:31 

I have been quiet for some time now but in the background still working on this.
In the digitalt museum I found one picture I wanted to share with you guys.
one of the cranes on it side

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 14:05 

And another update for who still follows along.

I received the first files from the cumbrian archive. And indeed the cranes in Norway (and Sweden) seem to be a mix. There are drawings in the set of the 36, 60 and 50 ton versions (as stated on the drawings). Still waiting on a few more but we will see whatthe final score will be.
Also I have gained access to a small portion of the old NSB archive of the Marienborg workshop. One of the cranes was here some time, as seen on some of the photo's (Rk 1271). If I find more there I will let you guys know.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2022, 07:37 
Site Admin

It's both interesting and useful to follow your methods and results, Lennert.

Thanks for taking the trouble, and please do keep posting as you proceed.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2022, 09:12 

Thanks David for the feedback :D

So I have taken a closer look at the drawings and found out some interesting things.
I haven't received any drawings of the relief bogies yet and also details of the outriggers are missing. Maybe they are still to come as I know that at least 3 drawings needed care from conservationists.
Also the drawings state that the "match truck" should be supplied by customer. There are overall dimensional drawings in the set though.
In the tables on the 50 ton drawings it shows that the Iraqi and Sudan railways have ordered the same crane. So I can use pictures of those as reference.

By the way the reason I shared the photo's of the crane on its side is because of the unusual situation you can easily see the underside.

The weird thing about the drawing set is the 60 ton crane drawings. This crane seems to have a completely different undercariage on two bogies.

Also if a drawing says L.N.E. Rly is that the same as L.N.E.R.?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 09:31 

The longer you look at pictures and drawings the more you find out.

I noticed a difference in a measurement on the relief bogies. On the overview drawing of the crane it shows 2'6" from the axle center to the end. On the detail drawing only 2'4"and a bit.
Turns out the Norwegian crane had a braking system on the relief bogies that the Swedish didn't!
Also the end plates turn out to be different.